Hey Austinites! Excited about SXSW? We are too! The Bed and Biscuit Austin team has located some fun events and music that have to do with our favorite furry friends – that’s right, our dogs. Please note that the venues hosting these dog-related events are not necessarily allowing dogs in. You can check with the specific venue before venturing out.
Did you catch the “Trust-Based Campaigns: A Brand Ambassador w/ PTSD” panel this morning? It piqued our interest because one of the ladies on the panel, who is featured in the documentary, has a service dog to aid with her PTSD. Definitely one to tug at your heart strings.
“Top Dog” Hits and Albums at SXSW 2014
- Saor Patrol- This Scottish medieval rock band is a group with a cause. Profits from performances and merchandise go to support Duncarron, an interactive facility that will be used as a historical cultural and educational center. Their latest CD, “Two Headed Dog,” is very popular on the German alternative music charts. See them here or at Russian House on 5th Street at midnight on Wednesday, March 12th.
- Dog Trumpet – Currently touring the world with Bernie Hayes on bass and Iain Shedden on drums. You can hear one of their biggest hits, “Speed of Light,” here or see them live at BD Riley’s on E. 6th Street on Thursday, March 13 at 7 p.m.
- HVOB- This fun, emotive electronic music is made by Anna Müller, a 25-year-old from Vienna. She provides the vocals and even composes and produces her music. Her debut EP “Dogs” ranked number 10 in the Top Live Acts of the Year in De:Bug’s readers’ poll. You can listen to a hit here, or see her at 11 p.m. at Lucille on Rainey Street on Thursday, March 13.
- Solids – This Montreal band can be related to some bands from the ’90s, such as Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr and Superchunk. The first EP, “Generic Dogs,” was released in 2010 and can be labeled intense rock. Check them out here, or see them at midnight at Maggie Mae’s on 6th Street on Thursday, March 13.
- The DoGs – This band has an impressive resume, having opened for Kiss, The Stilettos, AC/DC and Guns N ‘Roses. You can listen to their hit single, “You Can’t Catch Me,” here or see them live at Javelina on Rainey Street at midnight on Friday, March 14.
- Ezra Furman – This solo artist separated from his long-time band Ezra Furman & the Harpoons and went his own way in music with his album “Day of the Dog.” Find him here, or see him perform at Valhalla on Red River Street at midnight on Friday, March 14th.
- Ron Pope – This artist is taking the industry’s road-less-traveled and igniting his own career by writing, composing, recording and managing himself. His latest album, “Calling off the Dogs,” was released January 2014. His hit single, “Lick My Wounds,” can be heard here, or see them live at Esther’s Follies on 6th Street at 1 a.m. on Saturday, March 15.
Be sure to check out all the events at Dirty Dog Bar as well. It’s sure to be as happening as a fire hydrant at a dog park!